3rd Nephi 13:33

In December of 2013 I returned home after two years of being a full-time missionary, most of that time spent in New York. And after the wonderful time I had for those two years of sharing the Lord's restored gospel with as many people as possible, I had full intentions to continue doing so. Little did I realize that in my very first week of attending the young single adult ward, I would be called to be a ward missionary. I was very excited for this, as it was right in line with my determination to continue spreading the gospel.

But I came to learn very quickly that this would be much harder than when I was a full-time missionary. At the same time, I needed to start going to school again. I had chosen to go to The University of Utah and pursue a double-major in mathematics and physics, which was at least as much work as it probably sounds like it would be. I also had almost no money, and therefore needed to work. Fortunately, my brother Tayson found me a job at the same place he then worked. And while I was very glad to have a source of income, it was a very large amount of time and effort that it required. At the same time, I also was asked to serve as an ordinance worker in the Bountiful Temple, which I agreed to do each Saturday from 10am to 4pm. On top of all of this, I knew that now was the time to begin dating to potentially find my future wife. And therefore, I began going on dates with various ladies who I met.

As most people do in their early adult life, I encountered a time in which I was overwhelmingly busy with so many important things. The perfect meme that describes my feelings about it is linked here. How could I ever pursue my goal of continuing to share the gospel when I seemingly had absolutely no time for it? It appeared as if my goal was impossible to accomplish. I really couldn't put an end to dating, earning money, or completing my education because these were things I absolutely needed. But then I encountered a scripture in The Book of Mormon that I have never forgotten:

"For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."     ~3 Ne. 13:33

Through pondering this scripture I learned that the Lord knew of these temporal things that I needed, and that if I set my first priority to spreading the gospel as a ward missionary and serving consistently in his temple, all my temporal needs would be met. Putting my faith in the Lord's promises, I determined to do so with no exceptions. And I learned that the promise was true. While my life never became any less busy, my temporal needs were met as the Lord opened up doors in my education, work opportunities, financial needs, and finding a spouse. How grateful I am for the scripture that gave me the guidance I needed at a time when worldly needs could have diminished my love of sharing the gospel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctrine & Covenants 121:7-9

2 Nephi 2:11

1st Nephi 3:7