Doctrine & Covenants 84:41

After I was baptized as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the year 2001, I looked forward with great anticipation for the next big spiritual step ahead in my life. This, I soon learned, was receiving the Aaronic Priesthood when I turned 12. And after four years the day came when I was interviewed for, and received, this priesthood.
Due to the fact that I grew up with epilepsy, there are many things that I do not remember from my young years, including this day of receiving the Aaronic Priesthood. As much as I wish it would be completely within my recollection, it unfortunately isn't. Perhaps this was because I initially did not realize the significance of becoming a holder of the Lord's restored priesthood.
But that lack of realization did not last any longer than a couple of months, put at least partially to rest by a scripture that I consider to be the first to influence me enough towards a change in my life. Within the first couple months after turning 12 I remember reading in the Doctrine and Covenants, probably during a church meeting with the young men of the ward. We opened up to the 84th section and as a quorum focused on verses 33 through 39, which talk about the oath and covenant of the priesthood. When the teacher came to a halt at the end of verse 39 I, being intrigued by the immense blessings promised to those who receive the priesthood, silently read on into the proceeding verses. Deep down I thought that if the blessings were truly as great as the scriptures said they were, that there was another part related to the high expectations. And to myself I read verse 41:

"But whoso breaketh this covenant after he hath received it, and altogether turneth therefrom, shall not have forgiveness of sins in this world nor in the world to come."     ~Doctrine & Covenants 84:41

Immediately I felt that the priesthood path was not only one of great blessings, but also one in which there is no looking or going back. The mere thought of doing something, or not doing something, that would result in no forgiveness in the eternities penetrated my heart. This event came to be the time that I first came to start understanding the requirements of holding the priesthood. No longer was I supposed to see full discipleship as an option. And the fact that I remember this occurrence is enough evidence for me to realize how large of an impression it made on me.
While I still did not know fully what the oath and covenant of the priesthood entails, and still don't to this day, I at least learned that it should be taken very seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctrine & Covenants 121:7-9

2 Nephi 2:11

1st Nephi 3:7