Revelation 7:13-14

When I was around the age of about six or seven a great challenge was added into my life. I began to have seizures periodically but unpredictably, and therefore had epilepsy. Little did I know at first that there would not be a single aspect of my life that would avoid being influenced by this challenge. The limited reading ability, personality side-effects of medication, feelings of being a burden to parents and siblings, reduced public privileges (such as driving), and feeling like the black sheep in school were only a few of the many challenges brought about directly by my epilepsy. While I never came to doubt the existence of God, I did ask the questions that nearly everyone asks in times like this: Why me? What did I do to deserve such a trial?

Initially, all I could do was press forward through this tribulation of life, trying to not let my faith falter. And after nearly a decade of keeping my faith, wondering if I would ever find out why God allowed me to have epilepsy, the answer finally came. One day in the latter part of 2009, my mother recommended to me that I read an article in the October 2009 New Era magazine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Since I had nothing better to do, I figured I might as well read it. It was an article summarizing some of the teachings of the prophet Joseph Smith regarding adversity, trials, and tribulations in life.

"[Jehovah] will not deliver us unless we prove ourselves faithful to him in the severest trouble. For he that will have his robes washed white in the blood of the Lamb must come up through great tribulation (Rev. 7:13-14), even the greatest of all affliction. ... Men have to suffer that they may come upon Mount Zion and be exalted above the heavens."       ~Joseph Smith

Almost immediately I knew this was at least part of the answer I had been searching for. And thirsting for more I went directly to the scripture used in the quote.

"...What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they? And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb."     ~Rev. 7:13-14

After reading this, and the verses that came after it, I viewed my challenge of epilepsy in a new way. If I expected to live with God again one day, I needed to pass through great trials that would test my faith and provide eternal refinement. And epilepsy was my trial that would eventually be an eternal passport. My confusion, bewilderment, and distaste for all of the mortal consequences of epilepsy were dispelled by the additional light God mercifully gave me about the eternal consequences of it. Since then I have seen this promise already begin to be fulfilled in my life, all because of my mother asking me to read an article that lead me to one of my most favorite of all scriptures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctrine & Covenants 121:7-9

2 Nephi 2:11

1st Nephi 3:7