"See Others As They May Become"

About five years ago I was serving as a full-time missionary in an upstate town of New York called Middletown. It was at the beginning of the month of October in 2012, and my teaching companion and I were gathered with many members of the local ward to listen to the semiannual General Conference when the prophets and apostles of God addressed everyone in the world from Salt Lake City. In the evening, when the brethren were gathered for the Priesthood Session of this Conference, I remember hearing a quote that forever changed my life.

"We need to bear in mind that people can change. They can put behind them bad habits. They can repent from transgressions. They can bear the priesthood worthily. And they can serve the Lord diligently."

When the prophet, President Monson, said this I knew it was for me. Upon hearing his counsel I learned that I needed to see others differently. Whether it was the people answering the doors I knocked on, individuals I talked to on the street, members of the church who were not fully active in living the gospel, or even people from my past who had offended me in some way, I knew that I needed to view them as people who can change.

While this was in no way easy, I strived to bear in mind that everyone can change. I tried to look past people's weaknesses; I tried to see their actions from their point of view; I tried to view them as people who were doing their best. And over time I learned that the Prophet's counsel to me was a source of true joy. My past enemies became my friends; I developed empathy for individuals dealing with challenges that I previously was unaware of; I learned that people truly are doing their best in life.

Thanks be to God for inspiring his prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, to give me the instruction to change my view of other people. Had this not happened, there are many people who have further changed my life as friends whom I would have never spoken to or become associated with.

Comments

  1. You are an example of someone who has changed!! When I think about how much you have changed over the years, and continue to change in positive ways, I know that President Monson's words are true! You are a living witness of that truth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mom! Having wonderful parents who were willing to look past my weaknesses and see me for who I could become was one of the biggest sources of inspiration in following President Monson's counsel.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doctrine & Covenants 121:7-9

2 Nephi 2:11

1st Nephi 3:7