1st Corinthians 10:13

Sooner than later, most of us find out that life has overwhelming challenges that are seemingly beyond our capacity to endure. As a young teenager with epilepsy, this was the situation I faced for many years. There were many reasons of why this challenge felt unbearable at times. Among the smallest of these challenges was the mere presence of seizures in my life. While it certainly was not fun to have unpredictable seizures, I was at least unconscious during them and therefore didn't remember them as well as my family members. Challenges of greater magnitude included not being allowed to drive, get a job, or participate in various other activities that could trigger a seizure.

Perhaps the greatest challenges I faced, though, were the side-effects of my medication. These side-effects did not involve obvious reactions such as a rash, sneezing, or any feeling that might be considered "medical". Rather, the effect was deep inside my brain; my personality shifted towards pessimism, anger, and being anti-social. And since I was so young at the time I began taking these medications, I could not see that this altered-personality was not my true personality. From my perspective, it was the real me. Why was this the biggest trial resulting from my epilepsy? Because the side-effects were so deeply implemented that to me they were inescapable.

As I attended church, read my scriptures, listened in seminary, and on rare occasions was willing to listen to my parents' counsel, the truth of God's commandments came to light in my life. I realized that many of my actions were not in line with God's will. And very gradually I came to learn that what I saw as my personality was not as it should be. But how could this be overcome? How could this knowledge be transformed into action when the source of disobedience seemed so deeply implemented into my life. It seemed as if living in accordance with God's commandments was beyond my ability to do.

But, as always, honest seekers of truth are guided by God to the answer. While sitting in seminary one day, we focused on memorizing what were then called Scripture Mastery verses. And this particular day, we worked on 1st Corinthians 10:13.

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."    ~ 1st Corinthians 10:13

At first I didn't see that this was for me. As days went by and I gradually worked to ensure that I had this verse memorized for class, I came to realize that this was God speaking to me. By replacing the words 'tempted' and 'temptation' with the corresponding words 'tried' and 'trial', I immediately saw this scripture as my source of hope. Putting my faith in God's omniscience, I worked towards viewing my future life as void of all the personality defects I possessed. This obviously was not easy to do, but I had learned that it was not an impossibility.

For many years I strived to change the personality that I obtained from my epileptic medication. This was certainly not an overnight event, even after eventually being able to safely get off of the medication. Still to this day I am working to overcome the nearly scarring effects from my medication. But the scripture in 1st Corinthians gave me a perspective that has proven true in my life.

Throughout the years I've met many others who also have deeply implemented trials such as depression, same-gender attraction, etc. Some try to use this as an excuse for why the commandments of God do not apply to them in their life. But as I have learned through personal experience, none of God's commandments are beyond our ability to obey. Yes, it might be a million times harder for us than someone else, or take decades longer to master. But God will never allow our trials to fully prevent us from absolute obedience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctrine & Covenants 121:7-9

2 Nephi 2:11

1st Nephi 3:7