Mormon 5:10

Most of the people I meet and become friends with eventually learn that it takes a really good book for me to like it enough to finish it. In fact, if the first couple pages don't catch my attention, the probability of me continuing any further is approximately zero. On very rare occasions, however, I am introduced to a book that greatly intrigues me, captures my full attention, and becomes a permanent life-changing literary source of mine. One of these books is The Book of Mormon . This book is one that I have read from such a young age, and never ceases to intrigue me with its stories and truthful teachings.

Every time I read The Book of Mormon, one of the most memorable characteristics of the stories within is how often the people forget the Lord in times of prosperity. Whenever phrases such as "...and they were blessed beyond measure..." or "...and they began to prosper exceedingly..." appear, a red flag swiftly flies high in my mind with a reminder from previous read-throughs of the destructive and prideful state that nearly always follows. And, in fact, this very pattern is what leads to the complete destruction of the full Nephite nation at the end of The Book.

A few years ago, probably in the middle of 2014, I found myself engaged in my daily study of The Book of Mormon, at this time near the time just preceding this final destructive event. Pondering deeply on what lead to such a sad, but just, ending, questions such as "How could this people, who were visited by the resurrected Jesus Christ, have forgotten their God?" filled my mind. I reasoned to myself that pride, hard-heartedness, and the absence of relying on God were not guaranteed outcomes of prosperity and wealth. Surely, there must be a way to live in prosperous circumstances while remaining faithful and humble before the Lord. Therefore, what did the people in The Book of Mormon lack, that could have prevented their elimination?

Deeply studying the 5th chapter of Mormon, the chapter that precedes the battle in which the Nephites are destroyed, I came upon a verse that intrigued me greatly. Addressing the people that would eventually read The Book of Mormon centuries later, you and me, Mormon says in verse 10:

"And now behold, this I speak unto [the Lamanites'] seed, and also to the Gentiles who have care for the house of Israel, that realize and know from whence their blessings come."    ~ Mormon 5:10

The final phrase of this scripture caught my attention, and I asked myself the question, "Do I realize and know from whence my blessings come?" Indeed, all blessings come from the Lord, but do I realize and know that at all times? Pondering on this question, it dawned upon my understanding that this was precisely the reason that the people in The Book of Mormon forgot the Lord in their times of prosperity! They must have reasoned that all of their blessings had come from their own doings, leading to a major sense of pride and self-acknowledgement. And when all credit is given to self, nearly nothing seems to remain that would motivate one to turn to God. Now the stories of The Book of Mormon began to make complete sense to me.

The take-away question for me was whether or not I was following in the Nephites' footsteps, or if I had learned from their shortcomings. With all that I have to be thankful for, to whom or what do I give credit? I have my wife, a soon-to-be-born son, a home, wonderful family members and friends, and food to eat every day; I have my education that required no debt or loans; I have musical, mathematical, and many other talents; and most of all I have a knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ. There are so many things that I am thankful for, but do I credit myself as rightfully earning every one of them? Do I attribute all these blessings to chance and luck? Or do I remember that they are direct gifts from God, not earned through my own doings, but given through the mercy of the all-loving creator. Indeed I needed to work hard for many, probably all, of these blessings. But by no means does this give permission to take full credit.

Since the day that I read that scripture in The Book of Mormon, the terms 'thanksgiving' and 'gratitude' have been regarded as incomplete. I've learned that it is not enough to just be thankful for what we have; we must be thankful to God for what we have. And as we do, rather than developing a prideful and destructive state, we will humbly come to see how merciful and loving our Lord truly is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctrine & Covenants 121:7-9

2 Nephi 2:11

1st Nephi 3:7